"Understanding Codex" is an outstanding article by health freedom activist Tim Bolen, published February 20, 2005. Excerpt as follows:
From my research, and it has only begun, and the research and observations of others whose opinions I respect, I've reached some tentative conclusions and, using the scientific method, have come up with a working hypothesis, and some possibilities for solution. I'm going to share my thinking, and observations, with you.
(1) The "Codex" issue is NOT about stopping supplements worldwide. It is about Big Pharma TAKING OVER, and completely controlling the supplement industry.
(2) The "Codex" issue is NOT a "by itself" issue. It is simply a symptom, and a manifestation, of a much larger problem. What's happening on Planet Earth is that multinational corporations, now, are so large that they, in their daily business dealings, are much larger, and certainly more powerful than MOST of Earth's nations. Those multinational corporations have set up the World Trade Organization (WTO) as the new world government, completely under their control.
(3) The multinational corporations, through the WTO, have set up the situation where THEY are challenging both the idea of DEMOCRACY (people governing themselves) and the power of governments to control world policy.
(4) The multinational corporations, through the WTO, have set up the situation where THEY are intentionally attempting to destroy the North American economy - and that of ALL of the United States' historical allies.
(5) Big Pharma, knowing it is "going down," because of its murderous avariciousness, is attempting to move its PEOPLE into new positions. One of those places is "the supplement industry.."
(6) Big Pharma, knowing it is "going down," is funding its next attempt at world domination (yes, that's what this is about) in the United States - with its DRUG PRICING SCHEMES, and its control, through huge advertising budgets, of the US media. US citizens pay five times what everyone else pays for drugs - for no good reason. Big Pharma is doing this, I believe, to destroy American Industry's ability to compete in a world market.
Also this excerpt from an article titled "Who Says . . .And why do They Say It?" :
Would some bureaucrat in Washington deliberately mislead anybody? You bet.
Again and again in a variety of contexts, I have heard bureaucrats tell unwary consumers and reporters tall tales filled with half truths. At the end of a meeting in Washington last Fall, a Washington-based attendee slipped me his card and said "If you ever get a straight answer out of these folks let me know."
When I started to catch on to the game myself, I began changing the way I prepared for meetings and the way I asked questions. I hunted for evidence of these meetings and premised my questions accordingly. The results were startling. Bureaucrats knew months, sometimes years ahead, what was going to happen next, and they told me. I knew, for example, over two years ago that the German risk assessment for vitamins and minerals was being built — long before others 'discovered' it in January.
But they do still try to con you even if you know the game. More recently in Europe an EU bureaucrat I was interviewing said, "Of course, it is different for the FDA. They can't regulate food supplements the way we do because of DSHEA."
"Did someone tell you that?" I replied. "You have been misinformed. DSHEA contains a huge escape clause 'substantial or unreasonable risk of ... ' " I didn't get to finish my sentence. He did it for me, ' ... of illness or injury.' "You could drive a whole herd of camels through that language. Do you know any bureaucrat who wouldn't?" I said. A huge grin covered his face like a Cheshire cat smile. I had caught him and he knew it.
Why aren't they telling the truth and the whole truth? Because it is a truth they do not want you to hear.
No one in this game internationally or in Washington wants you to know that the upcoming Codex guideline will circumscribe what Congress does. It's a little game they all play now — decide offshore what to do, write a standard or guideline, tell the elected representatives: find a problem at home, launch a PR campaign, pretend you are writing new legislation to fix the problem.
Indeed, the concept of gamesmanship is now so imbedded in the bureaucratic mind that it is hard to shake out even when half truths won't work. I saw another real life demonstration of this mentality when a consultant told a room full of bureaucrats, "Half truths won't work here. They know what you are doing." The assembled bureaucrats reacted by suggesting that yet another study on how to 'disinform' the public needed to be done. A meeting organizer expressed disappointment that I was there to witness this. "We thought nobody from the press would come. We had buried the notice so deep in our website," he commented.
What are they really doing? Building blocks for global regulations through 'consensus.'
The name of the game here is convergence and harmonization, to build regulations and laws in each country that fit together with those written in other countries and at places like Codex so that trade (with a hugely expanded definition of trade) moves seamlessly. The mantra of the hour is 'approved once, accepted everywhere.'
Can this be overcome? Is it too late? No, not if just the right steps are taken right now. Otherwise, we can all look forward to a harder fight with less chance of success in Washington in the future.
This sample letter provides the details on how various trade agreements such as NAFTA, and CAFTA and the WTO will provide the means to enforce Codex rules:
"The WTO, NAFTA, CAFTA and FTAA trade agreements all contain the SPS (Sanitary Phytosanitary Measures) agreement. Article 3 of SPS states:"To harmonize sanitary and phytosanitary measures on as wide a basis as possible, Members SHALL base their food safety measures on international standards, guidelines or recommendations."
This makes the supposedly voluntary Codex Alimentarius standard for vitamins and minerals MANDATORY for all WTO member nations.
Passage of CAFTA and FTAA would broaden and deepen the scope of the SPS agreement, forcing harmonization of not only our dietary supplement laws to mindless international standards, but it would lead to the creation of a supranational body similar to the EU in our hemisphere, and we oppose this clear threat to US sovereignty.
When the draft text of CAFTA was first made available on January 28th, 2004 the Governors of all 50 States discovered that they were bound by the 2,400 page agreement- being specifically listed in chapter 9. A third have since rescinded their support of CAFTA.
Last fall, a WTO tribunal outlawed Utah's ban on gambling, opening the door to millions of dollars in penalties against all states with anti-gambling restrictions. Antigua had charged that Utah's ban on gambling violated America's obligation not to discriminate against foreigners providing recreational services.
CAFTA includes hundreds of pages of grants of vague authority to foreign tribunals. It wouldn't take long for an activist foreign judge to read his own interpretation into language such as the SPS agreement and force changes to US laws including the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act.
In addition to these concerns, NAFTA never lived up to the numerous promises made about it, and our Trade Deficit is worse now than ever, contributing to the weakening of the dollar. There is no reason to expect CAFTA or FTAA do anything more than to FURTHER this negative trend, and lead to the destruction of our nation, and our economy.
WTO tribunals have ruled against the USA in 42 out of 48 cases, many of which were very costly to our economy. Since joining the advent of NAFTA, our trade deficit has ballooned to $617 Billion. CAFTA continues this failed policy, threatening to destroy our country. I therefore ask you to vote NO on CAFTA and on FTAA."